Equipotential Bonding
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
John W
Labourer
Labourer

Equipotential Bonding

by John W » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:01 am

I building an extension and I am doing my own electrics (with building control approval). My new water and gas pipes have been connected to earth at the meter box. All the pipework (CH/Mains Cold/Hot Water and Gravity Fed Cold) is already connected together (but not to earth) in the airing cupboard.
[b]Question 1.[/b] Is it a good idea to connect all these to earth again??
[b]Question 2.[/b] In the bathroom, How close to the sinks/radiators/towel rails does the bonding need to be? - If I am fitting two sinks fed by the same pipework, can I rely on the pipework as a conductor if joints are all soldered or do they both need bonding?
[b]Question 3.[/b] Can the connections to the pipes be just under the floorboards ie not visible once boards are down?
[b]Question 4.[/b] I am running a 2.5mm spur from the ring main (on the 30mA RCD in the fusebox) to the attic with a socket for the shower pump. Do I need to connect my bonding to the earth of the this ring main??
[b]Question 5.[/b] Should I bond all my pipes around the boiler and pump, and should this the be taken to earth??

Any advice welcome!!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:21 pm

it is no longer reqd to cross bond again in bathroom as long as all are bonded together at a close point ie an airing cupboard nearby unless you are taking another circuit into the room IE a power shower, electric towel rail in which case the circuit earths do needs bonding to all pipework (which could be under the bath)I would not bring an earth from shower pump to bathroom as it is not in the area, and could under fault conditions make things worse,
Asfor your boiler you will find on most newer boilers all pipes go through a gland plate which is connected internally with the boiler supply earth any way

John W
Labourer
Labourer

by John W » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:16 pm

Thankyou for your help!!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:43 pm

your v.welcome, glad to see someone trying to do it properly,
Regards, Sparx

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1