Excess trimming of internal doors.
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
oldboots
Labourer
Labourer

Excess trimming of internal doors.

Post by oldboots » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:12 pm

I have bought 9 of B&Q's 6 panelled internal doors. 2 of the existing doors I need to replace are 27" (approx) so I need to remove more from each side than is recommended (max 6mm from each side is recommended). It is likley, I would guess, that there would not be enough side support left for the hinges. As I need the doors to match, any solutions please?

welshchippy
Labourer
Labourer

narrow door frame

Post by welshchippy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:22 pm

Hi,i have come across this problem from time to time and have found that the best way around it is to plane 6mm off the reciver side of the door ,then cut out the batten on the hanging side 0f the door (usually about 20 mm)peel the cardboard off each side of the batten you have cut off .then re insert the batten back into the door ,glue it with pva and pin along the lenght on both sides (use a few clamps if you have any).Leave glue go off,and you should be near the size you want ,plane any adjustment off this side.The door will be slightly wider down the one side than the other ,but only a real keen eye will pick it up .DONT TRY TAKING EQUAL AMOUNTS OFF BOTH SIDES THE STRENGTH WILL LOST FOR THE HINGES .HOPE THIS HELPS GOOD LUCK

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:22 am