Experience of Buying and Shipping from the USA - Any Advice?
Thinking about moving abroad? Click here for questions, answers and issues surrounding this topic

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jeffspen
Labourer
Labourer

Experience of Buying and Shipping from the USA - Any Advice?

by jeffspen » Thu May 21, 2015 11:13 pm

I'm assuming this section is not just for topics relating to buying when you are actually living abroad.

I am really curious to know about the experiences of anyone who has bought stuff to be shipped from America.

I understand the shipping charges can be ridiculously high, but for some luxury items, it still works out cheaper. I'm more concerned about the reliability of customer support. I have difficulties just trying to deal with customer support here in the UK when I have a problem. What if I had an issue with something as far as the States?

The reason I'm asking is because we have just done up the flooring in our living room and dining room. We want to protect it from damage and decided that some nice rugs would do the trick.

I have been looking online and came across these guys - Admin Rugs.com who sell some really amazing rugs and their prices are pretty low. Not to say they are cheap, but compared to other retailers, definitely a bargain.

They are having a crazy sale and have free shipping. But I'm guessing the free shipping is for residents of the U.S. only.

I just want to know everyone's experience with buying large items like rugs from the US, or maybe even other countries further afield, like Australia and Japan.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Experience of Buying and Shipping from the USA - Any Advice?

by diydoctor6 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:23 am

A colleague had a golf buggy shipped in from China a couple of years ago. By the time he'd paid all the taxes and shipping cost it worked out that the saving wasn't huge - but he did have a swanky new buggy!

I think that nowadays people are much better at shipping around the world - the global village, and all that - so the company selling it should be able to tell you all about it. There are lots of shipping agents that can help you get through all the import paper work relatively easily.

If the carpet's still on offer - why not make a few calls and see how much it would cost to get it back here? Nothing ventured...!

Jacko'alltrades
Labourer
Labourer

by Jacko'alltrades » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:32 pm

Got to watch out for the customs, they will most likely hold your delivery at the customs and will make you pay customs on the shipment value... it's very likely that this extra expense plus the shipping costs offsets most of the savings...

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/overview

jasonevans
Labourer
Labourer

by jasonevans » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:48 pm

One of the most important things you should know when shipping abroad
is having understanding for the country-specific regulations. To make it easier you could use fulfillment services such as Fulfillment by Amazon, Shipwire, or many others to manage international orders.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:15 pm