Extension roof and roof tiles nightmare
Tips, tricks and information on how to spot rogue and cowboy builders and also a platform for you to post and warn others of cowboy builders you may have encountered and help to spread the word of their dodgy dealings

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rhiannon
Labourer
Labourer

Extension roof and roof tiles nightmare

by Rhiannon » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:20 pm

3 years ago my parents had a single storey extension on their house. The builder who took on the work arranged all the other tradesmen (electrician, roofer etc) involved to come and do their jobs at the relevant times.
All good, we thought.
18 months ago my mum noticed damp on one of the walls. She called back the builder who said it looked like a roof issue. So she called back the roofer who, after much deliberation, said it was the tiles that were not doing the job. The tiles used were Redlands fontenelle, suitable for a 15 degree roof (which the roof is). We called out a Redland rep who tried to suggest other issues, but we still felt the problem was the tiles were not actually suitable for that pitch at which they were sold to us. (Since then, Redland have stopped stocking these tiles.) After lots of correspondence with Redland, they agreed, as a gesture of goodwill, to replace the tiles with a suitable alternative.
Good, we thought! The roofer said he would do the work for no charge and the builder would provide the scaffold.
This was all agreed in February this year.
Obviously then, lockdown happened and everything was put on hold.
Last week, the roofer got in touch with my mum and said that actually he doesn't think he can redo the job for nothing and it will be £1400 just for labour.
My mum is obviously reeling as she feels really strongly that she shouldn't have to pay to replace a roof that she has already paid for.
Sadly, my dad died last year and I think she is more driven than ever not to be taken advantage of here.
Who do you think should pay?
What would you do in her situation?
Advice greatly appreciated!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Extension roof and roof tiles nightmare

by stoneyboy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:54 pm

Hi rhiannon
Wow, your mum is between a rock and a hard place, what a difficult situation.
An underslaters felt (breathable or otherwise) should have been installed under the battens - this would stop any water that is getting through defects in the tiles going any further.
Your mum should have had Building Regulations inspections for the extension so start by talking to them.
The builder arranged other trades so you need to approach him.
At the end of the day you are lucky Redland have agreed to replace the tiles but you have no leverage on the contractors to put things right.
Good luck with this bag of worms.
Regards S

Rhiannon
Labourer
Labourer

by Rhiannon » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:38 pm

Many thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated - I will pass this on to her!

MarkyDeSaab
Labourer
Labourer

by MarkyDeSaab » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:32 pm

As stoneboy says, the contract is between your parents and the builder. It is down to him to sort it out. Trying to go directly to the sub-contractors and suppliers might muddy the waters. Talk to Citizens' Advice, they are usually very helpful.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/getting-home-improvements-done/problem-with-home-improvements/

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:01 am