Exterior front door - gap at top of door
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rocky1405
Labourer
Labourer

Exterior front door - gap at top of door

by Rocky1405 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:39 pm

Hoping someone on here can give me some advice. I have recently had a new wood front door installed by an independent joiner manufacturer. It was a bespoke new frame for an old barn conversion and a standard off the shelf exterior door to go into the frame.

The door at the top right corner is not meeting the stop and the weather strip but does at the bottom of the door. On the inside you can see the door face sticking out away also at the top.

I spoke to the joiner and he believes the frame is a little twisted but says it can’t be fixed. He suggested a bolt to push the door in a bit but that is not fixing the problems.

I asked about moving hinges and he said that would only pull in the hinge side. I enquired about moving the stop but says the stop in frame is a rebate cut into the frame.

I can understand why he won’t pull the frame out as it was hard work to fit. Question I have is there anything I can do or get another joiner to do to rectify this easily? The gap is not too bad but cosmetically annoying and let’s some draft in.

Help would be much appreciated

Stilson24
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Exterior front door - gap at top of door

by Stilson24 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:31 am

It could be one of two problems.
1.The frame was not 'boned through' ie the two legs are not parallel. This can be checked by placing a straight piece of timber against one jamb and siting through diagonally to the other, any discrepancy will show as a taper.
2.The door could be twisted,not uncommon.
The above test can be applied to the door,placing a straight parallel piece of timber on the face of the door and sighting across.
If the frame is in twist I would have it refixed.

Rocky1405
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Exterior front door - gap at top of door

by Rocky1405 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:22 pm

Useful will give it a test thanks

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:03 am