External render wall
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Johnd1881
Apprentice
Apprentice

External render wall

by Johnd1881 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:30 pm

Hi,

I wonder if someone could help me with the below query?

I have a breeze block wall which has been painted on the front side with 2 coats of Valspor masonry paint. Unfortunately there has been significant flaking. We believe this may be down to either the builder not putting any damp course when constructing the wall or maybe the render may have too much sand in it. I presume we can rub down any excess flaking but I was wondering what you advise to paint over the existing coats. Would a silicone primer based stop any future flaking?

Note the wall is breeze block with sand/cement render the front side. The rear is bare breeze block with chippings as a barrier between the hedge/bank.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: External render wall

by stoneyboy » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:44 pm

Hi johnd1981
Sorry but with bare blocks on one side you will never stop flaking of paint applied to the opposite side. Water will always force the paint off.
Regards S

Johnd1881
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: External render wall

by Johnd1881 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:13 pm

Many thanks for the reply. Currently the unrendered breeze block side of is covered by chippings but I see your point. I suppose the question is if I get someone in to render the other side would this sort the issue ?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:28 am