Fence/Screen/pergola type thing
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
machtucker
Labourer
Labourer

Fence/Screen/pergola type thing

by machtucker » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:55 pm

So I have timber arriving next week and I've been thinking about how I'm going to secure the posts in the ground. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the net.

The question is do I concrete the post into the ground or build a foundation and secure the post to using a bracket? Any ideas

Background....
Ideally I would build a concrete foundation and put the oak posts on top of that so they are well out of the way of the soil however due to the design I don't think it will be strong enough. It is not a traditional pergola an is more of a L shaped bit of screening/fencing (see image) so there may well be significant side loads. Therefore I have come to the conclusion that I will concrete about 600mm of the post into the ground with a footing about 400 x 400mm square. The posts are 150mm wide. I obviously want the timber to last as long as possible so have been researching the best way of minimising chances of rot. I will use gravel in the bottom of the foundation hole which will allow water to drain and will also be useful to get the post to the correct height etc. What about sealing/treating the bottom of the post? I have seen guidance that says do and also some that says don't as it can keep water in? Any advice?

Cheers,

Ed

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fence/Screen/pergola type thing

by stoneyboy » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:25 pm

Hi machtucker,
Form your foundations, screw bolt down brackets on top of concrete, dip your posts in timber preservative (the longer the better), fit the posts and do up clamp bolts.
Regards S

machtucker
Labourer
Labourer

by machtucker » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:14 pm

IMG_0577.jpeg
IMG_0577.jpeg (20.3 KiB) Viewed 285 times

Thanks for the reply. Do you think they will be strong enough. I’m guessing there could be some significant side loads? I’ve (hopefully) attached a pic of the structure.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:49 pm

Hi machtucker,
I was suggesting the bolt down post shoes with the corner clamp bolts - have a look at the ones from Toolstation. Since you are using oak the posts should not shrink too much and the bolts can always be tightened. Use 100x100 posts and fit a one-piece bracing timber along the top of the posts on both sides.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:19 am