Finishing off slate roof on outhouse
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
aquitaine
Labourer
Labourer

Finishing off slate roof on outhouse

by aquitaine » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:07 am

I have re-slated a stone outhouse - an old outside toilet.

The building is wedge shaped, the shape of a lean to, but is actually free standing. How do I finish the high point of the roof, the length that would join the house wall if it was a lean to?

I have fitted a length of wood to support the top edge of the highest row of slates but it is exposed to the weather. I imagine a piece of metal that is screwed to the piece of wood and loops over the top slates to create a weatherproof seal. Is there such a thing? I can't use lead; it would be gone by tea time.

If I use roofing felt or the like how do I fix it securely to the slates?

Thanks.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Finishing off slate roof on outhouse

by welsh brickie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:31 pm

you build the wall higher than the slates and seal the slates to the wall with a lead flashing, the top of the wall is finished with a flat coping stone.

aquitaine
Labourer
Labourer

by aquitaine » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:52 am

Thankk, you. I realise that that is what should have happened. The problem is this.

There were two wedge shaped outhouses back to back, one at a higher level than the other. I am working on the lower one.

The two sheds shared a back wall. The old slate roof of the lower one was attached to the wall as welsh brickie describes it. The wall then rose a couple of feet higher to accommodate the slate roof of the higher shed and was finished off with coping stones.

The stone work of the higher shed was beyond repair. I managed to consolidate the shared back wall up to the roof line but I coiuld not restore the wall firmly enough and square enough to do what welsh brickie advises. The stone work was more or less random.

That's why I now have a very neat slate roof but no way of finishing it off. Not lead, it would be stolen.

So what, do you think?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:23 am

if the wall is uneven and hard to build on then make a framing around the wall and concrete it level and then start your new blockwork on top

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:21 pm