Fireplace Rendering
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stevetwigs
Labourer
Labourer

Fireplace Rendering

by stevetwigs » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:05 pm

Still very much a novice plasterer and have been asked to do a potentially tricky rendering job. Wanted to get some advice before I dive in.

I have been asked to render the inside of a fireplace ready for the installation of a wood burning stove. And a number of queries have popped into my head.

I presume I would need to use a different mix than a standard as the heat would crack a simple sand/cement mix. Any recommendations for a mix?

I presume a lime based mix would be my best guess?

Do I use a lime based render in the same way as a standard render? (scratch coat+top coat then float finish)

There seems to be few different types of Lime? Which is the best/easiest to work with and where can you get it?

My customer has asked if the render can be dyed. I know of K-rend etc that comes in different colours but can a standard render be dyed.

Really grateful for any advice/info received.

Thanks

Steve

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:56 pm

Hi, You certainly can by coloured dyes for cement, that can be used as an admixture. I would try source the powered type rather than the liquid as the colour fast is better. I rendered my fireplace about 8 years ago. I also had solid fuel burner installed, standard render was okay and still no signs of adverse effects to heat. I wouldn't put you off trying to find a heat resistive product but I havn't found it a problem as yet.
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:33 pm