Fixing Aquapanel (or similar) to breeze block wall
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
raypeggy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fixing Aquapanel (or similar) to breeze block wall

by raypeggy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:48 pm

Can Aquapanel (or anyother type of tile backing board) be fixed directly to a block wall using adhesive and screws.
I am installing a shower and available space is limited and I do not want to lose any by having to fix battens to the wall to take the board.

Ray

ricky68
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Fixing Aquapanel (or similar) to breeze block wall

by ricky68 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:01 pm

dot and dab with drywall adhesive,might want to plug and screw when set if you are puting heavy tiles on

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:31 pm

Noooooo - you can't D&D aquapanel. It must be battened to the wall. If you've no room to batten the wall then D&D plasterboard and tank it.

Cheers

raypeggy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by raypeggy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:03 am

Could use 2" by "1 battens.Do you think 1" is thick enough to take aquapanel screws.Also any tips on tanking

thanks for your advice

Ray

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:14 pm

Ray

Knauf make a frame on which you can hang aquapanel. Go to their site and you can find it. You do not need to tank aquapanel. If you've not worked with aquapanel before you might just find it easier to use plasterboard and tank it.

Tanking ordinary plasterboard is very simply explained if you go to the BAL site and find their WP1 Tanking Kit. Theres a video which is self explanatory. The Dunlop kit comes from the same stable, is cheaper but I prefer to use the WP1 kit.

HTH

Cheers

GeoffMayo
Labourer
Labourer

by GeoffMayo » Fri May 29, 2009 10:27 pm

I'm in the process of removing old tiles which inevitably destroy the dot'n'dab plasterboard underneath. I'm quite happy to try that with Aquapanel (around and near a bath and sink). However, I'm having trouble removing the old dabs from the breeze blocks. Any ideas how to do so? I can't even get the last of the plastboard off so it is likely the wall would be a bit uneven if I did manage to attach it by other means. I'm putting new tiles on but they're fairly large and any wall deformations are likely to show.

If I can't remove the dabs but do get them at least levelled off, any reason why I can't put wooden battens on the wall and Aquapanelscrew them onto that?

The other walls are internal, probably (hopefully!) wooden so no problems there.

Thanks.

Geoff M.

PS not really the forum for it, but while I have the internal wall plasterboard off, is there anything I can do to help make the wall a little more soundproof rather than being able to hear every fart through it?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat May 30, 2009 1:02 pm

"However, I'm having trouble removing the old dabs from the breeze blocks. Any ideas how to do so?"

One of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/78/p3800278_x.jpg

and one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/24/p4168124_x.jpg

Alternatively if you have one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/20/p4763320_x.jpg

use it with the chisel function - it will come off. BTW drywall adhesive sticks like the proverbrial to a blanket and goes brick hard. It will be hard work using the club hammer and bolster.

"I can't even get the last of the plastboard off so it is likely the wall would be a bit uneven if I did manage to attach it by other means."

You have to - more of the same.

"I'm putting new tiles on but they're fairly large and any wall deformations are likely to show."

And the tiles will look carp, not be stuck to the wall and fall off idc.

"If I can't remove the dabs but do get them at least levelled off, any reason why I can't put wooden battens on the wall and Aquapanelscrew them onto that?"

See earlier post - even though this should really be a new thread.

"Not really the forum for it, but while I have the internal wall plasterboard off, is there anything I can do to help make the wall a little more soundproof rather than being able to hear every fart through it?"

If its a stud wall you can put some insulation in. Otherwise eat less curry after a few pints!

Cheers

GeoffMayo
Labourer
Labourer

by GeoffMayo » Sun May 31, 2009 9:20 am

[quote="rosebery"]
One of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/78/p3800278_x.jpg

and one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/24/p4168124_x.jpg
[/quote]

Got both of those and it's still virtually indestructable!

[quote="rosebery"]
Alternatively if you have one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/20/p4763320_x.jpg

use it with the chisel function - it will come off. BTW drywall adhesive sticks like the proverbrial to a blanket and goes brick hard. It will be hard work using the club hammer and bolster.
[/quote]

Do you have an item number for that? (The picture ID bears no relation to the catalogue number, and I can't read any labels on the picture)

[quote="rosebery"]
"If I can't remove the dabs but do get them at least levelled off, any reason why I can't put wooden battens on the wall and Aquapanelscrew them onto that?"

See earlier post - even though this should really be a new thread.
[/quote]

Forgive me for being dumb, but which particular post? I see mention of a couple of techniques in this thread.

I was erring on the fact this seemed similar to the OP's post, wasn't trying to hijack or anything (sorry Ray if it seemed that way).

"Not really the forum for it, but while I have the internal wall plasterboard off, is there anything I can do to help make the wall a little more soundproof rather than being able to hear every fart through it?"

[quote="rosebery"]
If its a stud wall you can put some insulation in. Otherwise eat less curry after a few pints![/quote]

I'll let the wife know.

Thanks.

Geoff.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun May 31, 2009 11:45 am

"Got both of those and it's still virtually indestructable!"

Ahh!

"Do you have an item number for that? (The picture ID bears no relation to the catalogue number, and I can't read any labels on the picture)"

Its an SDS+ drill which drills without hammer function, drills with hammer function and chisels. ie hammers without drilling. The Makita is just an example. If you don't have one they are expensive and you'd be better off hiring one for a one off job. I can strip a bathroom of tiles and plaster back to bare brick in a couple of hours with mine.

"Forgive me for being dumb, but which particular post? I see mention of a couple of techniques in this thread."

The one just above your first - The Knauf frame.

"I was erring on the fact this seemed similar to the OP's post, wasn't trying to hijack or anything (sorry Ray if it seemed that way)."

Oh no it was the extra bit that looked as if it really needed a new thread.

"I'll let the wife know."

Almost too much information!

Cheers

GeoffMayo
Labourer
Labourer

by GeoffMayo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:22 am

[quote="rosebery"]Its an SDS+ drill which drills without hammer function, drills with hammer function and chisels. ie hammers without drilling.[/quote]

Ah, ok thanks. I do have an SDS drill somewhere but I don't remember it having a chisel function (I used it at my old house to drill through external walls).

I perservered earlier and did actually manage to get several off. Trouble is, parts of the breeze blocks are also lying in the rubble pile... In any case, I need to hide a waste pipe so I've gone for 33mm square battens which will mean losing an entire centimetre (!) of bathroom width which is enough to raise over the remaining dabs with any plasterboard stuck still stuck to them.

Incidentally, I noticed that the builders had gone to great lengths to waterproof as much as they could with silicone everywhere, plastic matting under the toilet and sink, between the skirting and floor... and 30mm holes for 15mm pipes in the floor with nothing to stop water leaking down the gaps around the pipework! Marvellous eh? But then I'm no expert to criticise them.

[quote="rosebery"]Almost too much information![/quote]

Only joking but these new houses really are rubbish when you can hear every squeak, rustle, and mutter from an adjacent room. While looking for the aquapanel I noticed some soundproof (ish) board which might be worth looking at if I ever need to take an internal wall down and replace.

Cheers

Geoff.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:58 pm