My wife, bless her, wants new curtain rails fixed above our upstairs
windows. Presently each window has a wooden batten NAILED above
it. (The builders used 3 inch long flat brads.) I noticed when I took off
the first batten that most of the brads were bent almost double.
Now I am trying to drill/plug the two holes for each curtain bracket.
BUT keep finding I'm unable to drill holes of sufficient depth to take
the plugs. Looks like I'm coming up against a steel lintel?
The house was built in the early 70's.
Anyone got any suggestions as to how to successfully drill/plug
without the wall looking like a gorgonzola cheese - i.e. FULL of holes!
Many thanks in advance!
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 pm
Post by thedoctor »
Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:05 am
No magic secrets here I'm afraid Neil. Just to make sure the lintels are steel and not concrete try a very small masonry drill bit ( 3 or 4mm). Concrete lintels are very tightly compacted and can feel like steel when you hit them but a smaller drill bit will make a hole which can be enlarged to 7/8mm afterwards. If this does not work then the chances are they are steel lintels and you woulod be better off glueing a new board over the window. See our project on Adhesives used at home for help with this, the adhesive suggested )gripfil) is fantastic and will hold the heaviest curtains.
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:01 pm
Post by neilh »
Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:36 am
Many thanks for a speedy reply!
Have done one pole this morning - managed to find brick further
out on each side of the reveal - luckily the position the brackets
are in still looks ok, not too far out to look strange!
Only 2 more to go, fingers crossed they go ok.
(Would have loved to have used new batten with Gripfil or No More
Nails, but.....) :)