Fixing to Plasterboard Using red Plastic Wall Plugs
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jamiechia21
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing to Plasterboard Using red Plastic Wall Plugs

by jamiechia21 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi I am new to DIY and just wanted to know if i would be able to use the red plastic wall plugs in plasterboard.

I would like to fit some single coat hooks up to a plasterboard wall using the 6mm red plastic plaster board plugs. I was told at B&q that they would not be suitable as it would not make a strong enough anchor in this type of material, however I read online that the red plastic rawl plugs can be used for plasterboard.

Has any one used the red rawl plugs for fitting to plasterboard walls? My wife only plans to put her coats etc on the hooks so I don't imagine that it would be a problem. Is there a weight limit for these plugs on a plasterboard wall.

Also as the holes for drilling screws are quite close together on these hooks, I was wondering if this might cause a problem. As I will need to drill holes and put plugs in quite close together, I am worried that the hole might break through into the other one, or the plugs might not up against on another at the back of the wall. Would there be any issues to drilling and putting these wall plugs close together?

I have put some pictures of the hook and type of plugs screw I plan to use.

Many thanks,
Jamie
Attachments
49708576_2042074232757518_2455604266807590912_n (1).jpg
49947941_624186958012919_1224991416610979840_n (1).jpg

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Fixing to Plasterboard Using red Plastic Wall Plugs

by collectors » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:57 pm

With that type of hook & holes so close together i would personally mount a nice bit of wood on the wall & attach them to this. You will also have a better chance of picking up a stud to screw to.

Hugh Schkok
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Fixing to Plasterboard Using red Plastic Wall Plugs

by Hugh Schkok » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:35 pm

I've just finished wiping my eye's dry when I read the title.

Let's understand something from the beginning. A red plug is for masonry not sheet rock. Sheet rock fixings are for sheet rock. Can you see the sleight of hand here?

You cant use shoe laces either nor Sellotape they dont work. Sheet rock fixings do. When in place you can hang a wet donkey jacket from them as they are designed to do.

They come with a flattened 'needle' which you insert through the fixing and then you place the point of the needle in the place you want to put the fixing into. With the needle end in your drill, slowly drill it through the sheet rock and it will core a hole and then screw the fixing into place.

Remove the needle and Robert is your mothers brother. Next get your screw and put it into the hole where you earlier had placed the needle into and tighten, preferably through the item you want to fix in said location. Easy Peasy lemon squeezy huh?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:10 am