Flaking Paint After Scrubbing Walls
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Meldj
Labourer
Labourer

Flaking Paint After Scrubbing Walls

by Meldj » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:01 am

Hey all,

We moved into a property just under a year ago. The previous owners were HEAVY smokers so we scrubbed the whole property down. Walls were washed with sugar soap, cleaned with water, dried off and sealed with Zinsser Bin before applying 2 coats of emulsion.

Over the course of the year this one section of paint has began to flake away quite drastically, see pics.

Unsure what's causing it. This wall is a shared wall with our neighbor so could be some damp ingress from their side, or it could be condensation build up but it does seem like a strange place for it, and we've tried using a dehumidifier right by it to no avail.

Anyway I digress - What's the best approach to redecorating this to make sure we don't have the same issue another year down the line?

Thanks in advance!

My project (2).jpg
My project (1).jpg
My project (1).jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Flaking Paint

by stoneyboy » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:38 pm

Hi meldj,
It certainly looks like damp and unless you can cure it no paint will remain on the wall.
Check for damp using a meter, borrowing one is best, if the wall is damp - I'd expect over 100% - find the cause then redo painting as you have done before.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:11 pm