flashing lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chrisbooth
Labourer
Labourer

flashing lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by chrisbooth » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:22 pm

Hi, I have recently moved into a new house (1920) it has been rewired in the past 5 yrs. I have recently found out that one of the light fittings that contains a low energy bulb (no encapsulated type) very faintly flashes (rhythmically) almost pulse like when switched off. I have tried another bulb but is does not do the same.
I have tried a mains tester and it glows again in a pulse like fashion but slower.
I do respect electricity, will do most diy jobs c ompetentlyand would welcome advice to see if the problem can be solved easily before contacting an electrician. The ceiling rose is on a ring main ?? and two way switching system.

Thanks Chris

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:43 pm

Don't worry about it! Low energy lamps sometimes do this, especially if they have been turned on a long time. Each bulb has a small amount of electronics inside that will hold enough charge to make it flicker for several minutes after it's turned off.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:57 pm

Hi you where told to throw the duff lamp away last time you asked this same question, if other bulbs don't do same thing in same holder why are you still using it, they are not that expensive....
Your lights are NOT on a 'ring-main' unless incorrectly wired, they are on a radial circuit using 3plate loop-in method as shown in Doc's excellent set of drawings under 'projects'.
What problem do you want to solve b4 calling someone in??
the only problem is that ruddy screwdriver neon tester thingy which should be made a criminal offence to sell!!!!

chrisbooth
Labourer
Labourer

Thank you

by chrisbooth » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:34 pm

I do appreciate the time that people take to respond and the advice given. I suppose my medical background makes me over cautious. I have thrown the lamp away, but it only flashed in one particular bayonet fitting and the mains tested behaved in the same manner in the same bayont fitting, cest la vie

Chris

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:34 am