Floating joist hanging
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Snafu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Floating joist hanging

by Snafu » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:42 pm

Hi folks,
I've been asking builders etc about this and can't get an answer. I have a landing in a 1950's semi with three silly little trimmers sitting on a brick wall. The wall is now removed as I will put a normal bannister rail there instead so the trimmers are held up for now with an acrow.
I intend to replace them with 4x2's and hang the "loose" ends from an internal wooden beam which is sufficient for the load. My problem is the uppermost surface of the 4x2's will be 2" below the lower surface of the support beam. A long leg hanger will reach absolutely fine but there will be no lateral stability, other than provided by screwing the new landing to the joists, and the hangers themselves. The other end of the 4x2's will be in brick pockets, as normal. Is this ok?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Floating joist hanging

by stoneyboy » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:10 pm

Hi snafu,
4x2 trimmers for a full stairwell would seem to be under size. However you could take the new 4x2s beyond the support beam and use some short pieces of 3x3 to link the two together. Suggest you use timber connectors and coach bolts to tie the new and old beams together.
Regards S

Snafu
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Snafu » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:21 pm

Thanks Stoneboy,
I am only talking about the landing area at the top of a standard flight of stairs. Less than 1sq.m.
Ceiling visibility is a consideration here as well. If a go past the support beam and bolt into "noggins" then it will look ugly. I'd rather find a way of supporting them as per the attached but understand there is a 2" gap between the top of the 4x2's and the bottom of the beam.
Attachments
h003045-h003045-gallery_image_1-h003045_b-02.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:39 pm

Hi snafu,
Suggest you add a 2” piece of timber to the bottom of the support beam so you get structural rigidity. Joist hangers are pretty flimsy especially laterally.
Regards S

Snafu
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Snafu » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:03 am

Hi Stoneboy,
That could work, I'll have a play with it. Thanks for the suggestion.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:34 am