Floor tiles
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lize
Labourer
Labourer

Floor tiles

by lize » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:31 pm

I have just had a floor laid with 48 x 48 ceramic tiles. When I walk on some of them they sound as though they are hollow. Have got down on my knees and tapped the tiles and found quite a number of them sound s though they are hollow underneath. Can anyone tell me the cause of this and what could the consequences be.
Thanks. Lize

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:17 am

They sound hollow due to insufficient adhesive having being used and you have hollow patches. These are therefore likely to develop cracks since they are not fully supported. I'd get the installers back and tell them to get it sorted.

lize
Labourer
Labourer

by lize » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:58 pm

Thank you very much for the advice - I'll get on to them.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:01 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

lize
Labourer
Labourer

by lize » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:49 am

Thank you for the advice. I had however looked through the forum for tile problems, the only one that came close to mine was a lady with tiles that creaked. I am grateful for the help and advice given and as the result the contractor has agreed to take up a couple of the tiles and have a look. It turns out I have 31 tiles that sound hollow!! I had had a quick browse through the other DIY areas on the website and think this site is a gold mine of information. It is now bookmarked on my computer as I do like to dabble in DIY, what woman doesn't!! Grateful thanks.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:21 am