Floorboards removal when wall stud work built on it
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1

Can I lift the floorboards safely and trust the wall ties to hold the stud wall-plaster?

Total votes: 0
winstanley
Labourer
Labourer

Floorboards removal when wall stud work built on it

by winstanley » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:16 am

I am looking to lift the floorboards in a living room to install underfloor insulation on the suspended floor. However, the lath and plaster walls are attached to a studwork structure that sits on top of the floorboards. This stud wall is offset from the brick and stone load-bearing walls and held with metal wall ties.
Can I lift the floorboards safely and trust the wall ties to hold the stud work (and plaster) in place or will this risk it becoming unstable?
I will be replacing some damaged plaster panels but on the whole, I want to keep the walls intact if at all possible.
Attachments
Some of the wood paneling has been removed. The plaster walls in the background are lath and plaster on studs.
Some of the wood paneling has been removed. The plaster walls in the background are lath and plaster on studs.
braemarfloor.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Floorboards removal when wall stud work built on it

by stoneyboy » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:59 pm

Hi winstanley,
You may find it impossible to remove the floorboards with the stud wall floor plate in place. You could cut 50mm off the bottom of the vertical studs which may give you enough clearance to lift the floor plate.
Regards S

winstanley
Labourer
Labourer

by winstanley » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:37 pm

Your advice is much appreciated. That sounds like the best solution for removing the floorboards in the first place, as they are probably nailed to the floorboards.

Now, how would I secure the bottom plate of the stud work to the reinstated floorboards? At that moment it´d be 'floating' as it were, held only by wall ties or brackets that attach it to the brick and stone wall. What kind of underpinning would be adequate if at all needed?
Attachments
diagram.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:05 pm

Hi winstanley,
Once the floorboards are in place just screw the floor plate into them, you will then have to use packers to support the vertical studs.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:43 am