Hatch in an acrylic roof - advice on best way to construct
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rappel
Labourer
Labourer

Hatch in an acrylic roof - advice on best way to construct

by rappel » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:54 am

Requirement

I have a triangular walled area, in which there is a 2500 ltr Oil tank and a heap of space. I'd like to use the space for storing larger garden tools - essentially things that don't care about the cold but are better kept dry.

Adding a roof to this area wouldn't be diificult if it's in "one piece"
    Add a couple of layers of brick on two sides to
      allow sloped beams to be put in with hangers
      prevent wind getting under &
      hide roof from sight
    Cover with acrylic panels that overhang the lowest wall.
    Add a bit of guttering and downpipe to deal with water

My research hasn't found an issue with fire/explosion as far as the oil tank is concerned, these can be covered. The area will have airflow anyway.

Only problem is the tank needs filling and the oil pipe comes over one of the walls during delivery. A simple hatch will suffice but I can't work out the best way to shape/fit/seal this so that water coming down the roof doesn't just run into the hole.

Question

So - best way to construct a watertight hatch in an acrylic panel roof?
Don't care whether it lies on top of the roof or is a flush fit as long as it keeps out air and water when closed.

Thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Hatch in an acrylic roof - advice on best way to construct

by stoneyboy » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:24 pm

Hi rappel,
Suggest you cut a hole and ‘glue’ up stands all round the hole. Get some acrylic angle and ‘glue’ this to the piece you cut out. This will give you a double flange and should seal well.
Regards S

rappel
Labourer
Labourer

by rappel » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:12 pm

Thanks, that would work well as I create the surface drain proud but separate to the closing mechanism, so I can ensure it's watertight and drains round the hole.

I like the idea of the angle too as that means only one piece of acrylic for the roof.

... I was getting too hung up on rubber seals and overlaps doing all the work but they're not so good over time in my experience.

Cheers, appreciate that.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:35 pm

Hi rappel
Not sure you will find a solvent for the different materials involved but sanitary silicone mastic should be ideal.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:21 am