HELP, outside light has gone crazy
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
uselesswithwiring
Labourer
Labourer
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:46 pm

HELP, outside light has gone crazy

by uselesswithwiring » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:51 pm

so, i notice earlier that the outside light isnt turning off, its a small flood in a pir sensor.

This is a problem as it's getting kindof hot and the neighbours wont be pleased if its on all night, so i try changing the settings, and knock it to the shortest time period to be on.

all this does is make a strobe light. so, seeing as whovever wired it up didnt think to give it a switch i face the prospect of unwiring it in the dark, or i do what i did, and pull the bulb.

so now its still swtiching itself on and off about once a minute, but theres no light coming from it, and therefore no heat.

now i know the pir has probarbly broken and that i should just replace the whole unit. the question i want to ask, as this is literally going to keep me up all night, is -

do i need to worry about shorts / fire / other catastrophes leaving a buldbless light to switch itself on and off ?all night so i can disconnect it in the orning when i can see what i'm doing

any helpful response that dosent envolve me up a ladder in the dark would be greatfully received :)

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:57 pm

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:31 am

USELESSWITHWIRING.
Isolate supply , turn power off at main switch.
dissconnect , and tape up cores separately
leaving them in a connector block.
ask an in a electrcian in your area to recommend a similar new fitting.

BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon May 27, 2024 1:09 pm