Help PLEASE. Severe damp problems and mould after d/glazing
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fumken
Labourer
Labourer

Help PLEASE. Severe damp problems and mould after d/glazing

by fumken » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:37 pm

I recently invested in double glazing. First I noticed the kitchen wall was very wet -almost like sweet. Now ALL the external walls especially the corners have grown with black mould. Its lines with wall paper. When I removed some, even the bits not yet showing have mould. How do I tackle this. It is major. Will a typical home insurance cover this or is it possible to get a grant of some sort. I am a lady and not too good at DIY. I already had my fingers burnt recently when I got someone to put a new bathroom and it turned out he was a novice. Could this problem be related to the bathroom change too?

Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

Damp Problem

by Joiner_Mike » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:47 pm

Hi
It is more than likely that this damp has been caused by one of the new jobs you have had done, due to you not experiencing this problem before.
Pvc door and winows are that well installed now that they do prevent allot of circulation of air. But i can't see this been related.
I would be more inclinded to get a good qualified plumber to check the work that has been carried out by your plumber to see if any pipes are leaking.
You will have to contact your insurance company direct to see what they cover.

fumken
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks

by fumken » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:58 pm

Thanks for the advice.
Cheers.

fumken
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks

by fumken » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:34 pm

Thanks. I think it may be condensation, from what I have now been told. I am thinking of calling the D/Glazing people to put in vents.

fumken
Labourer
Labourer

I will get someone to check as you suggested

by fumken » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:26 pm

Thanks. I have no clue on these things. I will get someone to have a look.

tucny
Ganger
Ganger

by tucny » Tue May 06, 2008 6:08 pm

Your right with the condensation. And yes, it can wet a wall to a point where water droplets form.

The key here is to improve the ventilation. i.e remove moisture filled air. No need to go to the expense of putting vents in the already fitted windows, just open them and often. twice a day should do it.

dampman
Labourer
Labourer

by dampman » Sun May 18, 2008 1:32 pm

with you installing double glazing you restrict air flow if the problem carries on id say look at a positive air unit this takes air from the loft area and circulates it around the whole hosue stop condensation from forming on the walls cost wise about £500.00 fully installed

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:38 am