Help Replacing Combined Light and Extractor Fan Pull Cord
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
heljb
Labourer
Labourer

Help Replacing Combined Light and Extractor Fan Pull Cord

by heljb » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:22 pm

Help please I need to replace the bathroom pull cord switch which also switches the exhaust fan. I thought I had purchased the correct switch but the old wiring is confusing me. So the photo shows the old wiring it has two ports marked 'L' the back ones and two marked 'N'.

The switch I have bought is a 2 way switch with the typical 'L1, L2, COM' ports. So what do I put where? You will see in the photo there is a small piece of red wire that goes from one port to another but isn't coming from the ceiling, this is mainly what is throwing me off. All help appreciated. Thanks
photo(1).JPG

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help Replacing Combined Light and Extractor Fan Pull Cord

by ericmark » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:28 am

Likely you can put the linked wire to com and combine the black with red tape and red on it's own together and fit in either L1 or L2 does not matter which leaving other one empty.

But it really depends if there is another switch? The rules say with a non opening window you must be able to switch on fan without the light. The two pole switch you have will allow a push switch to be used as well as the light switch if wired that way sorry need to get correct switch.

heljb
Labourer
Labourer

by heljb » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:17 pm

ok so the black and red wire that was in 'N' and the single red that was in 'L' should go in the 'L1' and the other red wire that was in 'N' with a link to 'L' should go in the 'COM'? Have i read that correctly?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:58 am

As said likely that will do it. However it does depend on if there is a second switch for fan. I can't test your wires I can only guess what is likely.

I think it's Part F building regulations which gives the rules for extractor fans. Where there is no requirement for a fan or where there is no natural light you can run the fan from the light switch only.

However where the fan is required by building regulations i.e. no opening window and you have natural light then you need a switch to operate the fan without using the lights. However in real terms that means no one switches it on. Using a double pole switch is a standard way around the rules. It can be wired so either the stand alone switch or the light switch works the fan.

Unless a double pole light switch is used then switching on fan will also switch on lights.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Sep 09, 2024 4:52 am