Help!! Vibrating pipes driving me crazy!
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DIYgirl72
Labourer
Labourer

Help!! Vibrating pipes driving me crazy!

by DIYgirl72 » Wed May 10, 2023 8:32 pm

Hi. For several months, whenever we put the dishwasher or washing machine on, our pipes make a dreadful noise like they are really vibrating. I am not sure if this coincides with me turning off the cold feed to the mixer tap in the bathroom as it was dripping.

The noise has gone from bad to worse, to the point where if the main water tap is on, the pipes continually vibrate unless we turn and keep certain taps in the house on. Usually this involves the hot water tap on the mixer sink in the kitchen and the hot water tap on the mixer in the bathroom sink.

Mostly, we are switching the water off at the mains tap when we aren't using it as the noise is so bad.

We recently had the boiler changed but the engineers who came weren't sure what was causing the issue and couldn't resolve it. They said maybe the taps need changing on the upstairs sink.

The water pressure on the boiler is at the correct level but we just can't figure out what is wrong.

We are hoping to have a new bathroom suite fitted in the next few months but the noise from the pipes is driving me batty and I don't think I can wait that long.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help!! Vibrating pipes driving me crazy!

by stoneyboy » Fri May 12, 2023 10:25 pm

Hi diygirl72,
I would guess you have a tank fed system with a cold water tank in the loft. The most likely cause is the ball valve bouncing - try bending the valve arm sideways about 5 - 10 degrees.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:07 pm