Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mozzbo
Labourer
Labourer

Help With Very Poor Flow and Water Temperature Issues From Shower

by mozzbo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:59 pm

Hi,
I've just moved into a house and there's a problem with the shower.
It's a 'rainfall' type shower head and the shower appears to be fed from the instantaneous boiler.
When the shower is switched on at the tap, the water literally dribbles out, but is warm.
After a couple of minutes, the flow increases but the water goes cold.
So, on the hottest setting, hardly any water flow and the water is warm but as the water gets colder or, if the tap is on cold setting, there's reasonable water flow.
Basically the shower is unusable.
I've attached some photos of the shower, parts of which appear to be located behind a tiled wall!
Does anyone know what shower system this is and any ideas what could be wrong with it? Has it got an electric pump or does it rely on water pressure alone?
There's three of us in the house and we're all classed as 'key workers' during this virus outbreak, so a shower is essential and we can't get a plumber at the moment!
Grateful of any advice.
Attachments
shower-2.jpg
shower-1.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help With Very Poor Flow and Water Temperature Issues From Shower

by stoneyboy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:19 pm

Hi mozzbo,
I assume there is a handbasin in the same room as the shower. If you get a good continuous flow from the hot tap in the hand basin then the shower is the issue.
If this is the case you could try turning the temperature control capstan fully clockwise and then anti-clockwise a number of times (like 10 plus each way). If the thermostatic control is scaled up this may free it. Otherwise there my be blocked filters on the valve intake or the valve has just had it.
Realistically if the turning thing does not work you need skilled help.
Regards S.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:19 pm

Hi mozzbo,
I assume there is a handbasin in the same room as the shower. If you get a good continuous flow from the hot tap in the hand basin then the shower is the issue.
If this is the case you could try turning the temperature control capstan fully clockwise and then anti-clockwise a number of times (like 10 plus each way). If the thermostatic control is scaled up this may free it. Otherwise there my be blocked filters on the valve intake or the valve has just had it.
Regards S.

mozzbo
Labourer
Labourer

by mozzbo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:45 am

stoneyboy wrote:Hi mozzbo,
Regards S.

Hi, thanks for the advice. Yes, the hand basin has good water flow, hot and cold.
I tried turning the temperature control fully both ways over 10 times and its still the same unfortunately.
Oh well, if there's nothing else to try, it looks like lots of baths for the foreseeable future :(
Thanks again

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:35 am