Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rincewindwiz
Labourer
Labourer

How can I drain the drain?!

by Rincewindwiz » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:20 am

Hi All
I am end house in a cul-de-sac. The end of the road where I park my car has a small grill covering a drain. It seems likely (but the drain is blocked so I cant tell) that this runs into a larger sump (vertical pipe maybe 2 feet deep and 18" across) in front of the garage which is the lowest spot in the front of the house.

The recent thunderstorm caused this sump to overflow and flood the garage so I assumed the exit pipe is also blocked.
So I removed all the water (15 full buckets!), cleared out the sump but cant find an exit pipe.

There are two holes one on top of the other in the side of the sump. The top one is, i suspect, connected to the drain mentioned above. The bottom hole connects only to the upper hole (as well as the sump) which seems pointless.

So - do I really have to drain the sump by hand? Surely not! I am concerned because I plan to clear the blockage with a high pressure water. and I really dont want to have to pump the waste water into buckets

Am I missing an exit pipe somewhere? For example, is it possible there is a branch off the pipe from the grate to the sump that I cant see/access?
Thanks for any suggestions
Confused

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How can I drain the drain?!

by stoneyboy » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:23 pm

Hi rincewindwiz,
Is the bottom of the sump solid concrete or a rubble fill with fines filling the ‘pores’.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:04 am