how do is seperate two consumer units on one meter
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:07 am

how do is seperate two consumer units on one meter

by joero40 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:15 am

i have two consumer units on one line and i wanted to separate them so that each has its own bill .shall i just call an electician myself or wat?please help

Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:47 pm

Consumer units

by singer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:40 am

As I understand it power consumption from either consumer unit is measured by one meter at present which is provided and is the property of the local supply authority. You dont say what these two consumer units are feeding but if we assume they are feeding two seperate buildings or ground floor and first floor of the same building you have 2 options.
1st option is to apply to the supply authority to have another meter fitted, in which case you would have to set up another consumer account etc in which case each unit would receive its own bill - less complicated. (Supply authority may require certification from yourself or a competent person - check when applying)
2nd option is to purchase and install your own meter either credit or prepayment connected in line with the incoming supply to one of the units.
Consumption recorded on existing meter is total for both units. Deduct consumption from sub-meter to determine individual consumer unit consumptions. More complicated and inclined to lead to disputes especially if each consumer unit has different customer/tenant/user.


by ericmark » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:48 pm

You need to talk to the supply authority who may be different from billing agent in this area they will supply a meter and isolator which you can connect a consumer unit to but in other areas they require you to provide the isolator so you need to ask them what they require.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 3:50 am