How to get these aluminium windows out
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Fixitupgood
Labourer
Labourer

How to get these aluminium windows out

by Fixitupgood » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:50 pm

Hi so i have some old aluminium frame double glased sliding sash windows with spiral balances. Trying to figure out how to remove the windows.

They run in grooves and on top of each sash there are 2 recesses which you put a finger in and slide inward which releases the top of the sash. So now i am able to rotate the sash inwards and get better access to the bottom retention mechanism.
20220819_121026.jpg

There apear to be nylon bushes which slide within the groove and are attached to spiral balances spirings, these have a metal pin which then sits within a groove in the bottom of the window. Question is how do I remove theses pins ?

I thought maybe they slide inwards towards the centre of the window but they dont seem to want to budge (maybe rusted in) before i force them really hard and potentially break something can anyone confirm how they should be removed?

(i know i still need to remove the screw on one side btw - its rusted/stubborn and even a impact driver wont free it!)

20220819_121039.jpg
20220819_121057.jpg
20220819_121205.jpg

Fixitupgood
Labourer
Labourer

Re: How to get these aluminium windows out

by Fixitupgood » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:58 pm

Looking this up online and the correct terminology seems to be "Tilt release pins" and "Channel balance" OR "balance shoe". In any case there are lots of videos showing people where the window has to be tilted to 90Degrees and then each side lifted out.

I dont believe my operate in the way judging by the look of the balance shoe.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:25 am