How to level this ground after removing floor?
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
outofdepth
Labourer
Labourer

How to level this ground after removing floor?

by outofdepth » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:23 pm

I'm renovating a room on the ground floor of my house, we took down a brick wall and took up the existing wooden floor that was raised off the ground to find a bit of a mess.

Under the wooden floor we found mostly bare flat concrete, but also in the back left corner there's a patch of bare ground (mostly chalk which is what the soil is like around here).

20201018_140407.jpg

20201018_140353.jpg

At the highest point it's 30-35mm above the level of the concrete that covers the rest of the floor.

I've been trying to figure out how to level it all out so I can lay a new floor but I'm really struggling to work it out.

I'd ideally like to get the whole floor to the same level as the existing concrete sections, I know that means I need to break out the bricks and dig the ground so it's all beneath the level of the existing floor but I've got no idea what to do after that.

I was told I could use self levelling compound, but would that work on the bare ground? Or would it just fail to adhere?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How to level this ground after removing floor?

by stoneyboy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:09 pm

Hi outofdepth
You have got to get a level concrete base to work from so as you say digging out is needed and a new concrete floor laid. There is the issue of DPM - if the existing level floor has one then you need to incorporate one in your new floor and this will need lapping up the walls to their DPC and tying in with the existing DPM.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:24 am