In process of resinsulating loft, found issue with upstairs lighting circuit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ash556
Labourer
Labourer

In process of resinsulating loft, found issue with upstairs lighting circuit

by Ash556 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:38 pm

Been clearing out the loft to add an extra 170mm of insulation.
Found this wiring which I don't remotely like the look of.
Upstairs lighting circuit consists of 4 x LED downlights in bathroom, 3 in hallway, and 1 ceiling rose in each of the 3 bedrooms. An extractor fan for bathroom which is operated by light switch, and 2 plug sockets in loft (one was for shower pump which I have removed, other one for god knows what)
I will be removing both sockets as I may be wrong but having them both on lighting circuit seems mad.

Just looking for some advice to clean this up a bit and make it safe before I lay insulation on it.
All downlights in loft will be having loft lids installed over them (whoever did the work previously had ceramic plant pots over them)

Can I install a terminal box with a choc block inside and run the cabling into that?
I'd like to avoid replacing all the wiring if possible
Attachments
20220926_140342.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: In process of resinsulating loft, found issue with upstairs lighting circuit

by Mr White » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:16 pm

It is up to you what you actually do, but I would re-wire it for 2 reasons.

1) So I would not have to de-rate the cables (They are going to be covered in insulation, the amount of de-rating depends on the final load, thickness of insulation, clip them direct in open air, no problem.)
2) Remove the problem of shoddy work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:21 pm