installation of wood support beam in garage
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
coreyspeed
Labourer
Labourer

installation of wood support beam in garage

by coreyspeed » Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:14 am

My garage is under a coach house, the ceiling is plaster boarded and is suspended with a metal rail system.

I'm trying to make a drying room space, as I spend a lot of time on the water, I've installed a dehumidifier in the garage, however this isn't working that well because the garage door at the front is not well sealed and let's a lot of outside air into the garage

I'm looking to installed a PVC strip curtain to aid in creating a more sealed environment, across the width of the garage this has a weight of roughly 50kg.

I've come up with the idea of installing a wooden beam across the width of the garage and securing this to the block wall on joist hangers.

I'm not sure what size timber beam to buy?

I think I'm going to need 47mm by 100mm beam C16 or C24 Beam and two appropriate joist hangers and expanding bolts to attach to the wall.

The wall span is somewhere around 2.9m's long.

My question is around what size/ thickness/quality of beam I'm going to need ?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: installation of wood support beam in garage

by stoneyboy » Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:50 pm

Hi coreyspeef,
With a UDL of 50kg I suspect you will get the middle of the beam sagging. Suggest you go for 47x150.
Regards S

coreyspeed
Labourer
Labourer

by coreyspeed » Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:52 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the response, I've just had another look online and the weight might be closer to 30kg actually until I order the PVC Strip curtain, I guess I won't know the final weight.

Do you think 47X100 would be okay with 30kg, or what do you think the maximum weight would be for a 47 x 100 before I need to go to 150?

Corey

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Aug 20, 2024 11:09 pm

Hi coreyspeed,
A lot depends on how much deflection of the beam is acceptable for your application. I would anticipate a mdeflection of around 3mm for a 47x95mm beam with a 30kg UDL over a 3m span.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:38 pm