Insulation and finish in Exposed breeze block and roof storage area.
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
quinla01
Labourer
Labourer

Insulation and finish in Exposed breeze block and roof storage area.

by quinla01 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:32 pm

Hi,

We moved into a house that has some storage behind space behind a bedroom. It has good potential but as you can see from the photos it's nothing more than loft space. During a recent cold spell, the temperature dropped to 7 degrees and we're trying to maintain the joining bedroom at 19 degrees. Additionally, there are exposed cables (data) and nails coming out of the woodwork which could cause someone a nasty injury.

I'm not in a position to get this done professionally so am hoping to take it on as a DIY project. The goal is:

1) Install adequate installation.
2) Make it safe so we can use it for day to day storage.

For the roof, I was thinking about 50mm celotex insulation board between the rafters ( allowing for 50m gap between roof and celotex). What would I put on top of the Celotex as a finish? I'm not looking for anything fancy, ply would be fine from my perspective.

Any recommendations on what to do with the breeze block (if anything). I think ideally you'd build out a stud wall and then plasterboard over it with insulation between? The problem is it's only a very narrow space. If I start building the wall out I lose the benefit of storage space. That said, if that's what's need to do it properly I'll do it.

Finally, how much effort would it take to remove the diagonal supports? Is it engineering calculations and a load of expensive work os is it something a builder could do with minimal effort?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_1179.jpg
IMG_1178.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Insulation and finish in Exposed breeze block and roof storage area.

by stoneyboy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:19 pm

Hi quinla01
Filling between the rafters and over boarding should be ok but make sure the space above the insulation is ventilated. It will be a lot cheaper to use plasterboard rather than ply.
The diagonal braces are a tie across the roof - you will need to get structural advice.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:51 am