Is Cutting Joists to Extend Loft Hatch Extension Feasible?
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ss002d6252
Labourer
Labourer

Is Cutting Joists to Extend Loft Hatch Extension Feasible?

Post by ss002d6252 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:33 pm

The loft hatch I have the moment is just between 2 joists (all 5" x 2") and ideally I need to extend it across to the next joist. Is it it feasible to cut this joist

The joist which will need be cut is the middle joist in the attic ( I can't cut the joist the other way as it has pipework on it). Is it safe to cut this joist and extend the hatch ?

Hatch from above.JPG

Red is the middle joist in the attic. The yellow square is the approximate area to which I want to extend the hatch.

View across attic from position of the hatch.jpg

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Is Cutting Joists to Extend Loft Hatch Extension Feasible?

Post by welsh brickie » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:27 am

you cant just cut it out, without supporting the joist otherwise its making it structurally unsound.
you will need to support it using joist hangers, and fitting a trimmer joist.
its best if you get someone in to do it for you

ss002d6252
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Is Cutting Joists to Extend Loft Hatch Extension Feasible?

Post by ss002d6252 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:31 am

welsh brickie wrote:you cant just cut it out, without supporting the joist otherwise its making it structurally unsound.
you will need to support it using joist hangers, and fitting a trimmer joist.
its best if you get someone in to do it for you

Thanks

I've got no problem with being able to actually cut and insert the new sections of joist euc

The main concern I had was with the particular joist going right under the centre post - providing that in itself isn't an issue then I'll be Ok.

Craig

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:16 am