Is exposed brick and plaster dust a health risk?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tiggi
Labourer
Labourer

Is exposed brick and plaster dust a health risk?

by Tiggi » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:08 pm

A doorway was put into my bedroom for an en-suite. The plaster was cut back and brickwork is still exposed as it has not been re-plastered.
Could any harmful dust be breathed in from this. The doorway is currently behind the bed. The en-suite is unlikely to be finished for at least another year or two.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Is exposed brick and plaster dust a health risk?

by stoneyboy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:16 pm

Hi tiggi
There should not be any problems but suggest you paint the exposed bricks and mortar with watered down PVA adhesive/sealer.
Regards S

Diyroy
Labourer
Labourer

by Diyroy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:03 pm

Similar - My contractors cut out red brick with an angle grinder to make way for a new window 600mm x 400mm. The new window frame is installed (no glass in yet so there is ventilation). The house is empty but I accessed the room for 5 mins after at least 24hrs to take some measurement (the room doesn’t have a door and there are other rooms in the building that do not yet have glass in yet). I have been coughing ever since. How long does red brick dust take to settle and how dangerous is it?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:28 pm

Hi diyroy
The dust from the angle grinder will have been liberally dispersed around your house and even with regular cleaning there will still be some about for months.
Whether the dust represents a health hazard is difficult to answer. If your contractor cut through material containing asbestos then the answer is yes. If we are talking about what would normally be regarded as inert materials, then what may be safe for one person may not be so for another.
Sounds like you may be sensitive to building dust so suggest you wear a good quality mask when visiting your site.
Regards S

Diyroy
Labourer
Labourer

by Diyroy » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:18 am

@stoneyboy thanks. The entire site yes yet to be plaster-boarded and plastered (all ceiling and walls), new doors, windows. skirting, architrave, floors the lot. Starting to think it would have been better to knock it down and start again (rather than whole house renovation).

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:18 am