Is This Plaster Causing my Damp Issues Either Side of Bricked up Doorway
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mr Len
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is This Plaster Causing my Damp Issues Either Side of Bricked up Doorway

by Mr Len » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi all,

Ive tried to update pictures to show this but I clearly have damp running either side of a bricked up doorway.

I'm new to plastering, not sure what type of plaster has been used, any ideas? It's a 1930's house, semi detached and this is a wall in our hallway between the hall and living room. Radiator pipe going through the wall but the system is maintaining pressure and not leaking.

I'm assuming the wrong type of plaster has been used to brick up the doorway so the wall cant get enough air and is causing the damp issue.

What do you think? Is this likely or am I looking at another issue here?

Ive chipped away at some of the solid plaster to uncover a bit of the brickwork underneath and hopefully got a few pics too.

http://s58.photobucket.com/user/Mrlen/library/

Appreciate your feedback on this plaster used and also the general issue of the damp.

Thanks a lot!!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Is This Plaster Causing my Damp Issues Either Side of Bricked up Doorway

by welsh brickie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:49 pm

I think carlite bonding has been used as a base coat and then thistle multi finish as the top coat.
You never plaster down to the floor, as plaster can suck up moisture like a sponge. Its best to use a hammer and bolster and chip off the plaster to the brick work and leave a gap of about 25mm, the skirting will hide the gap

Mr Len
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Is This Plaster Causing my Damp Issues Either Side of Bricked up Doorway

by Mr Len » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:32 pm

Thanks a lot for your help welsh brickie!!

I've smashed a fair amount from the bottom now..maybe too much but it was coming off in bigger chunks after a while.

I've added a new pic...job well done?

http://s58.photobucket.com/user/Mrlen/m ... sort=3&o=0

Thanks again

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 11:12 am