Just moved in - future loft conversion on the cards - require loft insultation now
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
raspire
Labourer
Labourer

Just moved in - future loft conversion on the cards - require loft insultation now

by raspire » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:21 am

Hey, I'm a new member of this forum.

I moved into a 1960's large converted 4 bed semi detached house recently. The loft currently has loose fill insulation between the support beams that is about 75mm thick max, its also mouldy and moist from other the years, the roof doesnt have any obvious leaks however its internal roof structure is tiles on the rafters with no plastic underneath.

I think the current insulation needs ripping up and relaying, however I am plan on converting the attic in about 5 years time so don't wish to spend a lot of money on something temporary. I have been looking at the green homes grant and have been provided with a £250 quote after the grant is taken off for 170mm Knauf Loft Roll. Seems like an alright price, before the grant is taken off they are quoting £750.

Can loft insulation be re-used when converting a loft later if I had it installed now? If not what would be recommended for my situation?
Or should I just pay the price for the 170mm insulation and bin it once I am actually ready to convert?

My house is pretty cold at the moment when the heating is off.

Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Just moved in - future loft conversion on the cards - require loft insultation now

by stoneyboy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:37 pm

Hi raspire
It’s doubtful that the old insulation will be removed before the new is laid.
Yes you can re-use the insulation when you come to do the extension.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:48 pm