Knotting solution on reclaimed timber before staining, not painting
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

Roughcut1991
Labourer
Labourer

Knotting solution on reclaimed timber before staining, not painting

by Roughcut1991 » Tue May 16, 2023 7:57 am

Morning,

So quick question, I've been doing woodwork and welding for a while, but never bothered with knotting before hand - unless I'm painting. Haven't heard any issues come back, so should be fine. However, wondered if it was worth doing. The only problem is, it says do all staining prior to knotting?

Woni have reclaimed redwood and pine joists, I spend a long time working then to a joinery grade finish, there are lots of knots, but the wood is around 8-12% moisture content, so near enough kiln dried quality as they've been up in roofs for decades. The knots are dried out most and cracked, so I'd assume they're fine to just fill and then apply wood stain. However, some are fresher timber and don't want the resin bleeding out. I'm not painting, but using Manns water based softwood stain for the colour and then 3-5 costs of bar top lacquer. The Liberon knotting solution says do all staining prior to application, so would that mean stain with the colour dye first then knot and lacquer coats over the top? I normally use Osmo, but need the harder wearing lacquer as it's a cafe.

Should I bother knotting? Otherwise I was going to meths and blowtorch to burn out and resin

Thanks in advance.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:25 pm