Lagging a condensate pipe
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
polypody
Apprentice
Apprentice

Lagging a condensate pipe

by polypody » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:38 pm

As we recently had a frozen condensate pipe & I am thinking about lagging it with Armaflex or something similar. The pipe is about 6 metres long from where it enters the outside wall to the drain & is 43.5mm in diameter. My dilemma is that because of the overall diameter of the lagging & the closeness of the pipe to the wall I will not be able to fully enclose the pipe. Any suggestions please?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Lagging a condensate pipe

by stoneyboy » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:01 pm

Hi polypody,
Use split foam insulation - you may find one with an adhesive flap to seal the join. You may also have to fit pipe clips to the pipe so it stands away from the wall to give you the clearance to fit the insulation.
Regards S

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:35 pm

Any insulation will help, the weather has been colder than we are use to, normally that size pipe will not freeze, the idea is the boiler stores the water until it has enough to release in a batch so it will not freeze, in same way our rivers don't freeze.

You want removable insulation, as if it does freeze need to get access with hot air gun, I was lucky the sink pipe ran alongside so lagged both together.

polypody
Apprentice
Apprentice

by polypody » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:51 pm

Thanks for your advice folks.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1