Laws change our Planning regulations for Lofts and Extension
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sterlingbuilder
Labourer
Labourer

Laws change our Planning regulations for Lofts and Extension

by sterlingbuilder » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:24 pm

Great news!!!!!

Restrictions lifted from Property Development
From 1 October 2008 the rules relating to whether permission is needed for householder development such as loft conversions and extensions were changed. The changes are contained within the General Permitted Development Order Amendment

Visual information detailing the changes is available using the interactive house on the Planning Portal.

Rear extensions will no longer have volume limits. Loft conversions continue to have an overall volume cap to control overbearing conversions on larger homes. Examples of the changes are:

* Terraced houses: loft conversions can be up to 20cms (centimeters) back from the eaves of the roof or have a maximum volume of 40m3 (cubic metres). In addition a single or two storey rear extension can go back a maximum of 3m from the original house.
* Semi-detached: loft conversions can be up to 20cms back from the eaves of the roof or have a maximum volume of 50m3. In addition a single or two storey rear extension can go back a maximum of 3m from original house.
* Detached: loft conversions can be up to 20cms back from the eaves of the roof or have a maximum volume of 50m3. In addition a rear extension can either be a single storey extension going 4m back, or two storey one going 3m back from the orignial house.

The new regulations will also reduce the flood risks caused by surface water run off. New driveways or parking areas over five square metres will require planning permission if they are constructed using surfaces that do not allow allow the water to soak through the ground.

However permeable surfacing will still receive automatic permission. Surface water can be drained using permeable surfaces such as concrete block paving with gaps, porous asphalt or gravel, wheel track only paving or through installation of 'soak-away' systems.

Any previous opinion issued by the Council may not apply after 1 October if the works have not commenced by that date, and a further enquiry should be made.

Permission for a planned extension
Housing and Planning Minister Caroline Flint said: "From today people will find it has become much easier to convert the loft and build on an extension.

"The changes the Government has made will mean about 80,000 households a year no longer have to get planning permission."

Other changes that come into force today mean that people putting in driveways or parking areas of more than five square metres will be exempt from planning permission only if they use materials that allow water to soak through to the ground. The move aims to reduce surface water run-off and to help prevent flooding.

djh
Labourer
Labourer

by djh » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:07 pm

I wonder if you can help me with regards to the changes in planning regulations brought in on October 1st 2008. I received a certificate of lawfulness from the council for an attic conversion that included a side dormer window back in September. The building work didn't start until November and when my neighbour saw the dormer he complained to the council. The council told me that because the building work began after October 1st that my certificate was no longer valid as the law had been changed. Consequently they tell me I must change my windows to be obscured glazing and non-opening.

Neither I nor the agent who dealt with the application for the certificate were alerted to this issue and it seems totally unreasonable that the council should be able to give me a certificate and then tell me its useless only 3 weeks later.

Is there a government body that I can ask about the validity of what the council are saying?

Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

AJH162
Labourer
Labourer

by AJH162 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:48 pm

If your CLUED is date from before Oct 1 this year then your LPA are in error.
You can challenge them on this and threaten to take the case to thelocal authority ombudsman!

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:34 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1