Leaky Concrete Flat Roof and Wet Ceiling Plaster, Renovating an Outbuilding
Information, help and advice on maintaining, installing and repairing a flat roof. Post your questions and view answers here

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JoeBuilder
Labourer
Labourer

Leaky Concrete Flat Roof and Wet Ceiling Plaster, Renovating an Outbuilding

by JoeBuilder » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:58 pm

I have a 1950s Flat Roof outbuilding that was an original feature of my house in High Wycombe I’m looking to fix up to ensure it’s relatively damp and dust free in order that I can use it for storage and also as a hobby room for my homebrewing. I can’t afford to majorly renovate and want to do this on a low budget myself! Should I come into some cash, I’d prefer to spend it having a professional loft conversion carried out.

Problems with the building:

This is a 4M long by 2M wide building, single brick outer. DPM in the floor is OK I think, you can see some blue sky through the brickwork so it needs repointing. A window frame has rotted so the whole thing needs replacing. The roof is reinforced concrete and has become damaged to the extent that rain directly comes through in some areas. You can see that the steal struts have become exposed inside the concrete and are rusty. I do not think the structural integrity is significantly compromised. The damp has also made the internal ceiling plaster wet and this has come away in some areas.

Fixing the issue:
My idea, based on zero knowledge or experience aside from chatting with my neighbour who is not significantly qualified either.

Cover the flat roof with a high quality pond liner and baton this to the underside of the concrete to make the roof watertight.
Chip away the old 1950s plaster using a hammer and chisel, leaving the internal harder concrete and metal exposed! Paint this internal surface with some kind of damp proof membrane primer and then replaster the ceiling.
Repoint the brickwork
Fit replacement window, including new wood to replace the rotten wood.

My largest concern is what approach to take for the ceiling and what products to use.

External
External

Ceiling
Ceiling

Internal
Internal

abuckle1212
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Leaky Concrete Flat Roof and Wet Ceiling Plaster, Renovating an Outbuilding

by abuckle1212 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:19 pm

I would suggest covering the roof with a Firestone RubberCover EPDM that is adhered using contact adhesive. this site will be able to help further. www.rubberroofstore.co.uk

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 3:42 am