Light problem in retirement flat
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Stuartg68
Labourer
Labourer

Light problem in retirement flat

Post by Stuartg68 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:55 pm

I recently bought mum a retirement flat but I have now discovered a weird lighting issue.
So she has a corridor running from the front door that comprises of 3 sections.
From the door you go ahead to a left turn then ahead to a right turn and then ahead to the end if the corridor.
Each section has a ceiling light in the centre. In total there are 3 lights.
There is a single gang light switch by the front door and another at the very end of the third corridor section.
The problem we have is only the middle (2nd) of the three lights works.
We have changed light bulbs with working ones from other lights, but still no joy.
Both switches work as the the centre light switches on and off from either switch.
I haven't had a chance to get a multi meter on it yet, but can only deduce that the 1st and 3rd light must be disconnected with only the 2nd (middle light) connected to the switches.
The 1st and 3rd lights are pendant fittings and the 2nd is a rose fitting not pendant.
Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks

Stuart

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Light problem in retirement flat

Post by Mr White » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:31 pm

As it's a retirement flat, is there not an on site property manager ?
As for what is wrong, it could be any number of things, without being there it is not possible to remotely diagnose.

Stuartg68
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Stuartg68 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:55 pm

We bought the property, so the manager has said its our issue only renting tenants get his assistance.
As I said its basically 3 lights in line (1, 2 & 3) with a single gang switch at either end, I cant see why light 1 & 3 dont work.
I cant only be that they are not connected to the switches.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:25 am

It is common to use PIR's to turn on corridor lights, but to also have over ride switches, so maybe the end lights were never designed to work from a manual switch.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:24 pm

Stuartg68 wrote: We bought the property, so the manager has said its our issue only renting tenants get his assistance.

Oh, I see.

I can only suggest you get an electrician in to look at it for you, as you appear to not understand how it should be connected, and as I also said, yours is one of those problems that needs to be physically looked at to figure what is wrong, and the correct action taken, sorry it is not what you wanted to hear, but that is a downside of forums.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:12 pm