light switch spacers?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mao1
Apprentice
Apprentice

light switch spacers?

by mao1 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:34 am

I am in the process of fitting chrome switch wall fittings.

Unfortunately some of the metal boxes in the wall are not deep enough to accept the depth of the terminal block on the back of the switch unit (anoyingly so!).

This must be a common problem, where can I get spacers to stand off the switch fitting freeing up more room behind?

Cheers
________
Kawasaki F2
Last edited by mao1 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: light switch spacers?

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:46 pm

[quote="mao1"]I am in the process of fitting chrome switch wall fittings.

Unfortunately some of the metal boxes in the wall are not deep enough to accept the depth of the terminal block on the back of the switch unit (anoyingly so!).

This must be a common problem, where can I get spacers to stand off the switch fitting freeing up more room behind?

Cheers[/quote]

MAO1
YOU USED TO BE ABLE TO GET PLASTIC WALL FINGER PLATES
FROM MOST DIY OUTLETS. SIZES OF THICKNESS VARY THOUGH.
YOU COULD TRY A ELECTRICAL WHOLE SALERS ?
THE ONLY OTHER SOLUTION IS TO REPLACE CAREFULLY WITH A DEEPER METAL BOX, BEING CAREFUL TO REMOVE OLD WITHOUT
DAMAGING AROUND THE EDGES OF THE OLD BOX.
BLAKEY1963

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:47 pm

Hi haven't seen any for ages, normal way is to change back boxes for deeper ones, or cut the existing ones in a bit deeper, must be a market there for someone !!!!!
Personally if customer insists on metal fittings I try to steer them to the makes that are 'bow-fronted' design which don't stick back so far into box, & lay wires in box carefully without over lapping to maximise space,
regards SPARX

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:50 pm

[quote="sparx"]Hi haven't seen any for ages, normal way is to change back boxes for deeper ones, or cut the existing ones in a bit deeper, must be a market there for someone !!!!!
Personally if customer insists on metal fittings I try to steer them to the makes that are 'bow-fronted' design which don't stick back so far into box, & lay wires in box carefully without over lapping to maximise space,
regards SPARX[/quote]

SPARX
THANKS FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT AND HELP SINCE
I HAVE JOINED THIS FORUM.
BLAKEY1963

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:51 pm

Hi blakey, thanks your self, it can be a bit difficult when reading later what look like 'copy-cat' answers but of course the posted replies don't always arrive 'on-screen' in the order they are answered, so will try not to step on toes!!! Hi, Hi, It is very reassuring tho' to read similar answers
from another 'old hand' Best Wishes,
SPARX

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:54 pm