Light Switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jamesdaniel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Light Switch

by jamesdaniel » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:25 pm

I`ve just replaced a light swicth in my 2nd bedroom and wired it exactly the same as the previous one. The problem is that now its not working and neither is my bathroom light. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:06 pm

Check for loose connection at this fitting or and the light fitting that is suppling the loop in, that will be another light on that circuit in another area, you may have pulled it loose whilst changinging the fitting.
KB

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:47 pm

I have that feeling it is not exactly the same! Most DIY people get mixed up with the loop wires found in most ceiling roses.
Remember 4 connections
Earth
Neutral
Supply Line
Switch Line
And the latter is often came colour as neutral.
Loads of info in Projects section. Have a read if this does not help then come back.
Eric
You can also try http://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Lighting.html

jamesdaniel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks

by jamesdaniel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:26 pm

Thanks for your comments. I`ll give it a try and see.

jamesdaniel
Apprentice
Apprentice

LIGHT SWITCH

by jamesdaniel » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:53 pm

I think you got confused. Its not the light fitting that I changed but the light switch. Still havent been able to solve the problem so please somebody help!!!!!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:21 pm

What type of switch is it? If just the standard single gang, one way or two way switch. Some switches are marked up different.
C (common) red or brown cable
L1 black or blue cable
But I would not expect this to effect another light (unless the original wiring was done wrong) or this was offering a feed to the faulty light.
What cables are in the switch, have you check the light for blown lamp bulb?
KB

singer
Ganger
Ganger

by singer » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:49 am

How many wires have you got at the switch - what colours are they - do any of them have sleeving or tape on them - was there a link wire present in the old switch before you removed it - what sort of switch are you fitting - one way - two way - one gang - two gang - how many connections?

Will only be able to help with more info

jamesdaniel
Apprentice
Apprentice

light switch

by jamesdaniel » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:18 pm

I have 3 red wires coming out of the wall which were in L1 L2 and COM. I also have 2 more wires which were wrapped around the screw. Earth??? I have checked all wiring around the house and nothing loose including the actual light itself. It was a like for like switch. Just an ordinary switch.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:16 am

If this is the only part of this circuit you have touched, You can trace this using a test meter. Still not confirmed type of switch one or two way. If it's a two way single gang, if it's wired in singles, the live needs to be in the common and the other two should be your switch wires L1 and L2.
Do two of the reds come from the same grey plastic outer sheath and how have you wired it. The other cables I assume are bare copper the are the cpc (earth conductors). They should be sleeved with a green and yellow pvc insulator.
Still don't rule out loose connection. The majority of faults are at the points where the connections are made in the accessories.
KB

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:42 am