Loft Conversion for Storage - Removing Section of Wall from Loft?
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
neildsimpson
Labourer
Labourer

Loft Conversion for Storage - Removing Section of Wall from Loft?

by neildsimpson » Wed May 06, 2015 10:54 am

Hi, my house was built in 1830 and has two supporting walls either side of a central staircase. These walls continue up into the loft, with the roof timbers resting on them. I would like to board and light the loft for storage use, but the two walls in the middle of it make it impractical, so I would like to know if I can remove a section from the middle. They are about 8 courses high up into the loft, I realise I would have to leave them in the areas the roof timbers rest on them but I think the bits in the middle have no load so should be ok. Has anyone else done this or got any advice please?
Cheers.

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Loft Conversion for Storage - Removing Section of Wall from Loft?

by diydoctor6 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:21 am

Hi neildsimpson,
It would be much easier to answer this question if you could provide a picture. That said it does sound like you should consider getting an engineer to look at this - you don't want the roof to come down on you.

If you can access the roof space, you might be able to make a storage space using a loft boarding kit - see this example: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/bo ... ftzone.htm

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:22 am