Masonry painting for rendered breeze block wall
Information, help and advice on all areas of landscaping and land design

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
miketurner201
Labourer
Labourer

Masonry painting for rendered breeze block wall

by miketurner201 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi. I have a house perimeter breeze block rendered wall around 5 feet high painted in white, around 8 inches wide with a flat top.

One wall is around 6 years old and the white masonry paint has adhered well to the wall, I painted the wall last year but now due to the damp weather and after pressure washing the wall the paint off the top just peels off, leaving the white original masonry paint in place and some patches that will need touching up.

The other wall is new and was build rendered and painted last year and I find that the paint from the top flakes off. The top of the wall is flat and around 8 inches in width, with a flat top, rain water can collect there. When I painted the cement rendered wall I thinned the paint for the first coat.

Is there some kind of additive I can add to the masonry paint.
I have a couple of tubs of PVA adhesive, would that help ?
Can anyone give me advice on how to repaint the wall and make the paint key to the wall better than it has done maybe with some other product ?

Its Dulux Weathershield masonry paint in white.

Any advice would be appreciated, many thanks.

Skid Sprocket
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Masonry painting for rendered breeze block wall

by Skid Sprocket » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:10 pm

i have a similar problem, the first coat on the render is sound but further coats peel in places. It has been suggested that it could be to do with waterproofer in the render but the first coat sticks. I would contact Dulux for advice as they wont want any of their products to be seen to fail, its in their interests to help even though they cant be held responsible for how the paint is applied.

miketurner201
Labourer
Labourer

by miketurner201 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:55 am

Hi, many thanks I will try Dulux.

pjohnson1970
Apprentice
Apprentice

by pjohnson1970 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:11 am

I would definitely contact Dulux, just be careful they don't try to give you the run around and shirk the blame on someone else like as previously stated how the paint is applied.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:54 pm