MDF shelving storage cupboard
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AndyEssex
Apprentice
Apprentice

MDF shelving storage cupboard

by AndyEssex » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:57 pm

Hi All,

I decided to kit out an unused built in cupboard/wardrobe which had become a dumping ground with some shelving.

I used timber batons as supports, attached using dual Rawl plugs and self countersinking screws. The shelves are 18mm MDF and I've glued them directly to the supports (after priming and painting everything with satinwood).

After completing the project I have noticed that the MDF is giving a bit. I tried putting a bit of weight in the centre near the front and it was definitely bending so I'm not confident it can be used as is.

I was hoping to get some advice on this forum. The logical answer would be to stick another support baton wall-to-wall under the middle of the MDF shelf.

What would be the best way to attach that additional baton to the existing supports?

Any other suggestions?

I want to avoid putting a "front" to the shelves as the motion sensor lights wouldn't work.

Many thanks in advance.

Andy
Attachments
Promo-Instagram-Instagram IGTV cover.jpeg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: MDF shelving storage cupboard

by stoneyboy » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:10 pm

Hi *******,
If you don’t support the front and rear of the shelves they will still sag. Fit vertical supports in the middle front and rear working from the bottom upwards. A vertical board would probably be the cheapest option.
Regards S

AndyEssex
Apprentice
Apprentice

by AndyEssex » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:20 am

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think a thicker support beam position somewhere between the front and middle would suffice?

That way I can keep the motion sensor lights where they are.

It feels like it would be enough, admittedly there would be a small proportion of MDF shelf remaining at the front that doesn't have additional support but I'm not sure it needs it.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:14 pm

Hi *******,
You should be ok with that and a rear support.
Regards S

AndyEssex
Apprentice
Apprentice

by AndyEssex » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:26 pm

Thanks for the help stoneyboy

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:59 pm