MDF Skirting on Cold (condensation) Tiles
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mr I Smith
Labourer
Labourer

MDF Skirting on Cold (condensation) Tiles

by Mr I Smith » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:18 pm

I have just fitted some MDF skirting in my hallway, but haven’t yet painted or caulked etc. After a couple of days, I’ve noticed that the new tiles (no underfloor heating) are suffering from condensation and one of the boards near the front door is already showing signs of water stains near the bottom. They’re B&Q moisture resistant boards but this is evidently not helping with the problem. I’m wondering if some satin, caulking, sealant (around the front door area) and regular mopping will ensure longevity, or if I should bite the bullet and replace with pine boards before investing the money and time into decorating. I’ve read mixed opinions on MDF’s strength compared to pine (hard wood is out of budget). A solution for the MDF boards is preferable but only if they last a couple of years at least. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: MDF Skirting on Cold (condensation) Tiles

by stoneyboy » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:41 pm

Hi mr I smith,
Mdf is useless in damp conditions, either sort out the damp and fit mdf or accept damp and fit pine. Either way paint the boards all round with 2 coats of paint before fitting.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 01, 2024 2:15 am