New Fuse box
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wws4029
Apprentice
Apprentice

New Fuse box

by wws4029 » Sun May 03, 2009 11:19 pm

I am having some extra bits and pieces done elctrics wise, some extra rings etc. Is it worth changing from a 16th ed box to 17th whilst the work is being done????

How long before it will be compulsary to have 17th ed box???

Just trying to work out whether best to do it now or later on.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon May 04, 2009 1:25 pm

It's compulsary in new installation.
but not in old ones.
All new circuits will need to comply to 17th eds.
Ask your electrician if it would make more sense to either replace if possible the protective devices to RCBOs or have new CU installed.
KB

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Mon May 04, 2009 1:35 pm

theres no particular need to change to a new box, however, your installing spark may have difficulty installing some of the new circuits unless the whole installation is up to 17th ed standards, i.e. with a new box. it depends on your scope of works.
the regs are never applied retrospectivley, hence why people have an old rewireable fuse box still inplace. however new works must be up to the current regs which may mean a new board has to be put in.
Andy

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon May 04, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi, interesting question as it depends on what is in your existing consumer unit. EG. is it covered by an RCD?
As effectively any new circuits must have RCD protection, if one not there then easiest way to comply would be a board change now.
If there is an RCD then it may not need upgrading if spare 'ways' available, until/unless you want to sell house when a PIR would 'strongly recommend' a change to multiple RCD/RCBO's.
No body can insist on an upgrade, but your leckie who is going to have to certify/register the work for building regs. Part P. may decline the work unless you do have a new board & possibly new main earth bonding.
regards SPARX

wws4029
Apprentice
Apprentice

by wws4029 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:58 pm

It is protected by RCD, but only 1.

The long and short of it is, it is best to change now! Am I right???

If not, how long can I expect before it is a necessity to change. ( ie how long before it is mandatory for 17th boxes on new and old installations?)

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue May 05, 2009 1:30 pm

They are only mandatory, for new installation and rewires. some boxes may date back to the 14th/15th editions but as long as they are safe and no new circuits installed would not need RCD/RCBO and would be classified as code 4 that means does not comply to 17th eds but that does not mean it is not safe or illegal.
With one RCD covering a number of circuits as your board has this could cause nuisances tripping, so i'd asume it is a split board and some circuits are not RCD protected. Think about replacing those MCBs on the non protected side with RCBOs.
This will be compliant with 17th eds
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue May 05, 2009 1:54 pm

hi again,
It will never be compulsory to change & there are several million installations using a single RCD, mine included.
However whilst having work done anyway it would probably be cheaper as part of other works whilst leckie on site to do it now, if only because one set of certs. not two,
BW,
Sparx

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:58 am