New House and new Damp and Wood Weevil
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Caprisunliz
Labourer
Labourer

New House and new Damp and Wood Weevil

by Caprisunliz » Fri May 04, 2018 8:16 am

Hi All,

I have recently bought a 1930s house which had a gleaming survey for me to move in and find wood weevil in a maple flooring laid over original floorboards/solid flooring owing to an extension at the back of the room.

We have had damp surveyors around, all of which have suggested membranes and injections etc which I’m not happy with as I do not wish to mask the problem, I want to find out why I have dampness enabling wood weevil to be happy. The sub floor seems to be poorly ventilated and the external air bricks either non existent or touching ground level. There is an old hearth/remnants of old chimney that seems to have been directly laid on with the wood, causing the worst bit of weevil. I’m totally lost as what to do as it is an internal wall (always has been) that is worst affected (see pics). I don’t know if this is just the damp coming from the subfloor or something else. There are no leaks identified. I’m petrified I’ll reveal dry rot.

The floorboards looked fine until I removed them and they are fibrous to the base of them but not breaking away or anything- is this from some awful rot?

The joists are solid as anything, no knife or screwdriver will go into them but they have evidence of weevil holes but don’t know what to do with this either. Was thinking treatment but not need replacing as they are so solid?

Thanks so much for your advice.

Caprisunliz
Labourer
Labourer

Re: New House and new Damp and Wood Weevil

by Caprisunliz » Fri May 04, 2018 2:18 pm

Sorry- here are photos for the above post
Attachments
Internal wall
Internal wall
FEC88822-7B22-4407-87F1-12E2FB9C7F8E.jpeg (33.87 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
Skirting board after removal