Noises with flooring in upstairs rooms
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
markwilliamarthur
Labourer
Labourer

Noises with flooring in upstairs rooms

by markwilliamarthur » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:32 am

Good morning, I hope everyone is well?

I’m after some advice, I live in a house approximately 20 years old and it is in good condition. One thing that I’m really struggling to resolve is the noises coming from the floorboards when walking in some rooms upstairs.

I’ve taken the carpet up and added screws (4mm x 40mm) close to the existing nails as initially I thought it might be loose floorboards but it hasn’t made any difference. :(

I’m not sure if this is relevant but it is at its worse when I first walk into the room in the morning, once I’ve walked around a bit in the room it no longer does it. It also isn’t a squeaky noise and more of a crack or popping sound which is very difficult to describe.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. I can take the carpet up but do have hardwood skirting fitted which I’d be reluctant to remove.

Many thanks in advance and have a great weekend.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Noises with flooring in upstairs rooms

by stoneyboy » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:40 pm

Hi markwilliamarthur,
Suggest you look for pipes through or cut into the top of joists that do not have a cushion around them e.g. pipe insulation.
Are the hardwood skirting fitted tight onto the floorboards?
Regards S

markwilliamarthur
Labourer
Labourer

by markwilliamarthur » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:18 am

Good morning and many thanks for your reply.

No the skirting isn’t fitted really tightly, very small gap (about 2mm maybe).

markwilliamarthur
Labourer
Labourer

by markwilliamarthur » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:33 am

Apologies for another post, just something to mention but my central heating pipes running under the floor were decommissioned recently as I’ve changed all my heating to electric panels.

If it was the pipes would that make sense that it is worse the first time I walk on them in the morning?

Many thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:51 pm

Hi markwilliamarthur,
There is a marked difference between the expansion of copper and timber materials.
It may be that when you walk on the floor the pipes move on the joists until the next temperature change i.e. overnight.
Regards S

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:10 am