noisy windows
Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rhurbarb
Labourer
Labourer

noisy windows

by rhurbarb » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:28 pm

Recently i have had double glazing fitted in my home and was surprised by the amount of traffic noise coming through them ..Taking in consideration mind no plasterboard up yet ,i was just wondering if sand and cement would be a option for taking the place of foam around the frames?Appreciate any help ...Cheers Rhurbarb

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:14 pm

I think the fitters have probably done a bad job, the noise is coming round the window frames, take a look under the window cill, they probably didn't bother to seat it properly.
Low expansion foam does a good job, it expands and fills all the gaps, just make sure the frame is filled all the way round and not just on the edge.
I have seen windows and doors where, when you give them a thump the whole thing trembles. On examination you usually find they are held in place with a few screws and bits of plastic trim, remove the plastic and there is a gap all round about an inch or so wide.

lapwing90
Labourer
Labourer

Soundproofing -

by lapwing90 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:05 pm

We had new A energy rated double glazed windows fitted in November and I am also concerned about the amount of noise that can be heard through them, especially now the mornings are lighter, the dawn chorus is very audible. Got the window fitters back and they said that they had used foad to fill before fitting windows and used a clear sealant to seal around the edges, I did check and could see clear sealant. However, I also thought I could feel a draught from the window and frame. Fitters are apparently contacting manufacturers with my concerns but wondered if it had been resolved. Also wondered if anyone knew of any organisation that did independent tests on windows to see if in fact they were as sold - A rated and complied with regs. Many thanks

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:55 pm

It is unlikely that there is any fault with the windows as made.

There may be a problem with how they are fitted.
Did the fitters finish the job by repairing the damaged plaster round the window frame?
Or did they merely fit a plastic trim to hide the gap?

Double glazed windows are not sound proof!

I have fitted two sets of double glazed windows with an 8 inch gap between the inner panes of glass and in the middle of the gap I have venetian blinds
yet the noise of the birds still manages to get through at times.

An interesting thing at 5.20 this morning a bird was sitting on our window cill hammering to wake us up. This is an impatient black bird who wants to be fed.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:30 am