Noob single pole switch wiring a vacancy sensor
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ryley92
Labourer
Labourer

Noob single pole switch wiring a vacancy sensor

Post by Ryley92 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:58 am

Okay, so i have a leviton manual on vacancy sensor switch, im trying to wire to a fairly old single pole light switch.

The wires in the switch box are
black,
white,
ground.

The switch has 4 terminals,
Black,
white,
red,
&3 way

When i test either the
white to ground.or.
black to ground in the box,
both show 120v

So how can i get it working with the current wires

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Noob single pole switch wiring a vacancy sensor

Post by Mr White » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:55 pm

Hello, the terminology you are using indicates you are in America, this forum is based in the U.K. To that amends, rather than get something wrong I suggest you contact a licensed local (to you) electrician.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:53 am

I also looked a colours and voltages and thought you are in USA, in the UK we use systems not used in USA and vice versa, using any UK forum you are likely to get wrong answers.

Ryley92
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Ryley92 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:14 pm

Listen guys. I understand not everyone can be an expert.

Knowledge is earned.
But I'm sure you'll get there just keep working at it.
I'm joking of course and I appreciate your replies.

To anyone else looking for an answer to my OP,

The problem was that my switch box was wired as a "switch loop" wiring configuration.

The motion sensor I had purchased required a neutral wire to function.

I could have wired the neutral wire of the switch to the ground wire in the box, and it would have worked, however that would not meet code.
Nothing should ever be wired to ground. Ever.

The solution I went with was to exchange the original sensor switch which required a neutral, with a similar featured switch, which had the neutral wire as optional.
It was also much simpler to wire up correctly as the line / load wires were interchangeable.

Thanks for your help, and enjoy your tea and crumpets and whatever else. Toodle doo....tell the queen I said what up ho

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:18 am

We have the same problem in the UK, the traditional way to wire lights was to use the ceiling rose as a junction box, and not take a neutral to the switch, this allows fans to be fitted to light, use of emergency lights, and also reduces the volt drop, but it also means a problem with capacitive linking on the switch wire, so bulbs need a leak resistor, and no neutral to work electronic switches.

But it was not going to help you talking about load capacitor, or switch types and makes when your not living in the UK. We could have easy given wrong info.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:07 pm